Friday, March 31, 2006

Gimpy Gimp!

You may have noticed in recent pictures that I am on crutches whilst strolling about the grounds of the house we are trying to buy. Seems years ago I tore something called a plantar plate in my left foot. It made my second toe stick up in the air and caused me lots-O-pain when I walked. The doctors at Madigan Army Hospital decided that because they couldn't see any reason for the problem on an X-ray, they had me get an MRI of the area. That showed a torn plantar plate and a dislocated second toe along with a dislocated tendon that is supposed to keep my second toe in proper position. So, after a nice dose of versaid (sp?) and a local block, they proceeded to repair the plantar plate, position the tendon back into it's rightful place, and they shortened my second metatarsal bone by 1mm so it wouldn't prodrude past the first metatarsal bone. My first met was shortened when I had my bunion surgery 15 years ago and that may have been a contributing factor in my ruptured plantar plate.
So, here I am almost a month post-op and I'm able to hobble around and put some weight on the heel of my left foot as long as I wear my "ugly slipper" that keeps me from being able to walk "normally" and bend my foot at the toe joints. Hopefully I'll be done with that on April 10th. Fingers are crossed. I can't even legally drive because I'm still impared. So far I have a fairly confirmed ride to work every day next week. Not so confirmed for a ride home, tho.
So, until next time...