Monday, November 01, 2010


Hildred Powell Griffeth
March 12, 1920 - October 28, 2010






I always knew that this day would come. You never know what form it will come in, though.
Two weeks ago, I tried to call Gam but got no answer. I figured they were all out for the day and I didn't think anything of it. Later that weekend, I heard that Gam had gone to the hospital but had returned home. Thursday a week ago, we learned that Gam had returned to the hospital in pain. Tests were done, that should have been done the first time, and she learned that she had B-Cell Lymphoma. We had no idea how bad or what her prognosis was at the time.
By days end, I learned that it must be pretty bad because she had elected not to receive the standard cancer treatments (i.e. chemo and radiation therapy) and decided that it would take too much out of her to fight this disease and make her feel worse than she felt already.
At that time, everyone in the immediate family wanted to go to Florida to visit her before the end. I had planned on visiting soon but when word came that her time was extremely short, it was too late for me to get there before she was put on morphine and went to sleep.
Less than 2 days later, at 1:45 am, she passed away, holding hands with Amy and Debbie. They say she went with a smile on her face.
And that's how she lived.
With a smile on her face.
Rest in peace, Gam.
I love you.